It must be fall because I have been on a big muffin kick. Blueberry, pumpkin, banana nut, every week it seems to be a new kind. But being a chocolate lover I realized that I am missing my all time favorite muffin: chocolate chip.
I wanted to find a healthier version for these but a lot of the whole wheat recipes that we had tried tasted like…well…like they were made with whole wheat. Don’t get me wrong, we love whole wheat around this house but sometimes baking (the wrong way) can make the end product too dense or flavorless. When that happens I’m usually stuck with twelve muffins that nobody else will eat but me!
Luckily, we have a recipe that is not only tasty and yummy but easy to make.
Chocolate Chip Muffin Recipe
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
Yields 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand or Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat the oven to 350 and lightly grease your muffin tin.
- Mix together the butter, honey, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and then the milk.
- Pour in the flour last. Mix ingredients until they are combined being careful not to over-mix.
- With a spoon, stir in the chocolate chips and fill in the muffin tins. The muffin batter should be almost to the top of the muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick and cool on a wire rack.
These muffins were a big hit!
They didn’t even last a day on our counter and my kids wanted to take them to school for a snack the next day. And let me tell you, that was not the case with all of my muffin creations.
They are healthy enough to be considered a muffin, but they have just the right amount of sweetness to be considered a dessert as well. Give the recipe a try and let us know what you think!